Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Shirt Stripes

I have decided to make the Shirt-stripe boxes quilt from the Passionate Patchwork. I fell in love with this quilt after seeing it so beautifully displayed at the cut cloth. I had all my shirts cut and ready so I went to the library and checked out the book, as soon as I got home I sat down with the book and read over the pattern. I felt like I was ready to go, I could do this! I made my templates (not as fun as cutting everything with a rotary cutter) started tracing my triangles for the big squares and after tracing a big whopping four triangles I just had to sew one up. Okay, I am gonna admit something here, I get so excited about new things that I charge on ahead thinking I know exactly what I am doing and I usually don't. I sewed the square together, thinking the whole time "wow, this is kinda awkward" but just kept going because, yes I was sure I knew what I was doing. I laid out the square and realized what I had done, I had set the template the wrong way on the fabric, my stripes were wrong and I didn't pay attention to the sewing instructions so no wonder it felt awkward. I am happy now that I had only traced and cut four of those triangles. I went back to the book and studied it some more before I went back to work and now I am just spending my time tracing and cutting.

2 comments:

Nancy-Rose said...

I'm working on this quilt too!

Nancy

Anita said...

Rats! Even though it's a completely different spin on the stripes, I love it. You should still include this block in the quilt somewhere. ;) But may the rest of them form the striped blocks.