Friday, July 03, 2009

Little Hands

I volunteered in my son's 2nd grade class this year and as a thank you gift they made this darling little present for me. Their teacher took a big dish towel and had them paint their hand prints on it and then each one signed their name to it, including the teacher. I loved it but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it and I certainly didn't want to fold it up in some drawer and forget about it. I decided to turn it into a quilted wall hanging. I quilted around all the hands and I love how it made the hand prints just pop out at you and then I just did some free motion quilting for the rest of it. I decided I wanted a striped bias binding, something I had never done before. I asked a friend and she described it for me but I still needed pictures so I researched it online and came up with this site that really helped me. I am so excited that I was able to do this and that I have added one more ability to my quilting experience. My free motion quilting is something I am still learning, I'm not exactly thrilled with some of it because I am so stiff when I first start and then as I relax it seems to flow better. I decided to just make swirls and loops for this quilt. I have been researching books and videos on free motion quilting so I can learn more and I always watch the quilting blogs to see what other quilters are doing with their quilts.

No comments: